Join a Youth Conservation Corps Crew
In partnership with the U.S. Forest Service and AmeriCorps NCCC, MobilizeGreen is offering residential Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) programs in Eagle River, Wisconsin and Orleans, California this summer 2017 for diverse young people between the ages of 15 and 19 years of age. The MobilizeGreen-Forest Service YCC program is a three-week residential program where members live and work together as a team. YCC Members will work on conservation-related projects together during the day and participate in environmental education, personal development opportunities, and outdoor recreation activities during the evenings and weekends. The YCC experience is unique and can create memories and friendships that last a lifetime. The goal of the program is to create environmental stewards and future leaders through community engagement, physical labor, and teamwork. YCC Members often return to the places where they served and appreciate their projects for many years. Program recruitment is targeted to attract youth from diverse backgrounds, including socio-economically disadvantage urban and rural communities, from across the country. The application for YCC Crew Member is closed.
YCC Member Benefits
- Paid summer position/job with expenses paid (i.e., site travel, food)
- Develop collaboration and leadership skills
- Work with other high school students from across the country
- Explore outdoor and recreational activities such as backpacking, biking, climbing, fishing, hiking, kayaking, swimming, and/or other activities during non-work and program hours
- Learn about cultural and natural resource management careers
YCC 2017 Session Dates
- California Session One: June 24 – July 14
- California Session Two: July 24 – August 11
- Wisconsin Session One: July 16 – August 5
- Wisconsin Session Two: August 6 – August 26
YCC Member Eligibility
We encourage all youth to consider applying for YCC jobs.
- Must be at least 15 by July 1 of the program year and may not be 19 years old before August 31 of the program year.
- Must be able to fulfill the essential functions of the assigned work with or without reasonable accommodations
- Have a valid U.S. Social Security number or have applied for a valid Social Security number
- Must be able to obtain a work permit as required under applicant’s home state laws
- Must be a citizen of the United States or permanent resident
To serve as a YCC Crew Leader (NOT Crew Member), apply here.
For all questions, email below.
YCC Member Participation Requirements
- Demonstrates leadership skills and/or responsibility
- Likes working with people
- Wants to learn more about ecology or environmental topics
- Willing to participate in a teamwork setting with a positive attitude for the entire program.
- Must be respectful of all program participants and leaders
- Must follow instructions, safety regulations, and guidelines and complete assigned chores
- Actively engage and participate in all events and environmental education programs, games, and activities
YCC Physical Requirements
- Able to hike up to 5 miles a day
- Willingness to learn to use hands for tools, controls and other objects
- Occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
YCC Conservation-Related Work Projects
YCC members will work on a variety of projects that help protect, preserve, and restore the natural, cultural, and historic resources of the Forest Service and participating partners. Participants work hard, sometimes in difficult conditions including deep mud, heat, and mosquitoes and flies. Examples of projects may include:
- Restoration/ Repair/ Construction Projects
- Trail Construction
- Campsite Restoration
- Fence Construction
- Boardwalk Repair
- Bridge Construction
- Historic Structures
- Boundary Marking Signage
- Preservation Projects
- Historic Buildings
- Exotic Plant Removal to Protect Native Plants
- Reclamation of Hazardous Abandoned Building Materials
- Stream Restoration
- Trail Demolition