Become a YCC Crew Leader
MobilizeGreen is seeking residential Crew Leaders for Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) programs during the summer of 2018. The MobilizeGreen-Forest Service YCC program includes multiple three-week residential programs for diverse young people between the ages of 15 and 18 years of age where members live and work together as a team. YCC Crew Leaders will lead teams of high-school youth to work on conservation-related projects together during the day and participate in environmental education, personal development opportunities, and outdoor recreation activities during the evenings and weekends. The goal of the program is to create environmental stewards and future leaders through community engagement, physical labor, and teamwork. Crew Leaders work in collaboration with a co-leader to manage student and group safety, personal development, camp life, environmental education, and work-project management. YCC Crew Leaders also represent MobilizeGreen on-site and coordinate with the Forest Service partner on designated projects. New Crew Leaders must attend the orientation and skills-based training sessions. Program recruitment is targeted to attract youth and young adult leaders from diverse backgrounds, including socio-economically disadvantaged urban and rural communities, from across the country.
YCC Crew Leader Benefits:
- Paid summer position with expenses paid
- Develop collaboration and outdoor leadership skills
- Hands-on training and learning experience
- Work with high school students from across the country
- Explore and lead outdoor and recreational activities such as backpacking, biking, climbing, fishing, hiking, kayaking, swimming, and/or other activities during program hours
- Learn about cultural and natural resource management careers
- Youth /young adult programming experience working with youth or young adults (ages 14-18) as a teacher, mentor, leader, counselor or coach.
- Teaching and/or leadership experience working in an informal or formal educational environment, including ability to organize and effectively teach lessons.
- Outdoor experience such as familiarity with outdoor living skills, including: hiking, safety awareness, camping, and cooking skills, etc.
- Conservation project experience in service project management, service learning, conservation, or trail/conservation projects and hand tool use.
YCC Crew Leader Reqirements:
- Must be at least 22 years old by June 1, 2018.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to perform manual and physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and lift and/or move 50 pounds or more when required.
- Must pass a criminal background check and motor vehicle report.